The Happiness Equation by Neil Pasricha originally started as a letter to his unborn child about how to be happy. He reviews 9 “secrets” that will make you happy, which I paraphrase below:
- Be happy first: hard work and success won’t bring you happiness, you have to actively do things to create it for yourself.
- Do it for you: setting external goals will always leave you wanting more as there will always be someone else who set the bar higher; forget them, and focus on doing things for your own reasons.
- Remember the Lottery: be grateful you even exist in this vast universe with all the amazing technological comforts of our time.
- Never Retire: all of us, no matter what age, need a reason and purpose to get up in the morning.
- Overvalue You: learn to value your time more than anything else, and then spend your time wisely, doing the things that matter to you.
- Create Space: re-evaluate how you spend your time, cut out most things and focus only on what matters, make sure to leave space to do nothing, that’s often when our best ideas and moments happen.
- Just Do It: forget motivation and desire. Just get up and do something, the motivation and desire will come later.
- Be You: you need to be authentic and genuine to yourself in order to be truly happy
- Don’t Take Advice: even clichés contradict themselves, just follow your gut.